¾ cup toasted hazelnuts plus extra for garnish, chopped
1 Tbsp orange zest, coarsely chopped
1 cup sugar
¾ cup all-purpose flour
1/3 cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
2 large whole eggs
2 large egg whites
¾ cup Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil
¼ cup fresh squeezed orange juice and zest
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Bertolli Light Taste Olive Oil Spray (for pan)
For the chocolate glaze
100g semi sweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
½ cup heavy cream
1. Preheat the oven to 180°. Prepare a 23cm spring form pan with olive oil spray. Sprinkle with flour and tap out excess.
2. Place the hazelnuts, orange zest and 2 tablespoons of the sugar (from the 1 cup) in a food processor and process until very finely chopped. Set aside. Sift the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the ground hazelnut mixture to the flour mixture until blended and set aside.
3. Combine the whole eggs and egg whites in a large mixing bowl and beat on medium high until frothy. Gradually beat in the remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, scrapping down the bowl from time to time, until the mixture is thick and pale in colour, 3 to 5 minutes. With the mixer on its lowest speed add the Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil in a slow, steady stream. Remove the bowl from the mixer and add the orange juice and vanilla; gently stir with a rubber spatula until blended.
4. In three or four additions gently fold the flour and hazelnut mixture into the egg yolk mixture until blended. Pour into the prepared pan. Bake until the edges begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and the centre feels set when pressed lightly with a fingertip, about 30 minutes. Cool the cake in the pan on a wire rack.
5. Prepare glaze while cake cools by heating the heavy cream to a low simmer in a small saucepan. Add the chocolate to the hot cream and stir until chocolate is melted. Cool at room temperature until glaze is thick enough to spread. Use an offset spatula to spread the glaze on the top of the cake. Garnish the rim of the cake with toasted Hazelnuts and the top with orange zest. Serve with a whipped Cream.