July 17, 2015
150g soft brown sugar
1 vanilla bean, seeds scraped or ½ tsp of vanilla bean paste
½ cup (125 ml) Bertolli Light in Taste Olive Oil
75ml balsamic glaze
1 cup (150g) plain flour
1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup (125g) ground almonds
8 ripe figs, quartered
2 tbsp brown sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 24cm cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Beat the eggs, sugar and vanilla bean seeds with hand-held electric beaters until creamy.
2. Then add the olive oil and balsamic glaze and beat for another few minutes.
3. In a separate bowl, sift the flour, polenta and baking powder, add the ground almonds and mix until combined.
4. Add to the egg mixture and combine well.
5. Pour the batter into the cake tin and top with the figs.
6. Sprinkle the figs with the brown sugar and bake for 50-60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean and the top of the cake is golden brown.
7. Leave the cake to cool in the tin.
8. Slice and serve with your desired accompaniment.