July 13, 2015
350 grams scotch fillet steak
1 tablespoon Shaoxing wine* (substitute with red wine or sherry)
1 tablespoon light soy sauce
½ teaspoon sugar
¼ teaspoon sesame oil
1 tablespoon Bertolli Extra Light taste olive oil, plus another ½ tablespoon
1 onion, chopped finely
1 clove garlic, chopped finely
150 grams sugar snap peas or 1 bunch broccolini or asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into small pieces
½ red capsicum
½ yellow capsicum
A few fresh basil leaves
Steamed rice, to serve
*Available from all Asian grocery stores
1. Trim steak of fat and then cut into small slices, against the grain.
2. Place steak into a small bowl and then mix in Shaoxing wine or your choice of substitution, soy sauce, sugar and sesame oil.
3. Stir well to combine.
4.Cover with cling wrap and then leave in the fridge for at least one hour to marinate.
5. Heat up a wok or large, non-stick fry pan until it begins to smoke.
6. Add 1 tablespoon of Bertolli Extra Light taste olive oil, then add onions into pan.
7. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring continuously, for one minute and then add garlic.
8. Continue cooking and stirring for another 30 seconds and then add meat.
9. Turn strove up to high and sear meat on all sides.
10. Once meat is brown, but still pink, turn off stovetop and remove meat to a plate and set aside.
11. Turn stovetop back on to medium-high and add extra ½ tablespoon of Bertolli Extra Light taste olive oil to wok.
12. Add sugar snap peas, broccolini or asparagus and stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
13. Add two to three tablespoons of water as necessary to avoid burning.
14. If the vegetables stems are thick you can put a lid on the wok for a couple of minutes and turn the heat down to low to ensure that they cook through.
15. Add capsicum and then add reserved beef and basil leaves.
16. Stir for a further minute or two and then turn out onto a serving plate.
17. Serve with steamed rice and eat immediately.